I was scheduled for 2 miles today, but I ran with my running buddy and we pushed out about 2.75 miles (although my Garmin didn’t sync right away, so I only got credit for 2.5). This was my longest run and fastest pace for anything over a mile since restarting training. My ankle brace was too tight and did cause me some numbness, which is honestly the only reason I stopped. I could have gone longer. Progress!
I followed my run with a 1-hour back and leg massage that was much needed. Although, I still have 110 squats (see squat challenge post), 110 sit-ups and 55 pushups waiting for me tonight.
My customized Run. Travel. Dream. Bondi Band came in today! I also got one with one of my personal running mottos: Stronger than Yesterday.
My running skirt from Skirt Sports came also. I’m so excited to run in this. It has shorts underneath.
I added a new race to the calendar today as well: the Montclair 5K Doughnut Run. I heard about it in a Facebook running group. It’s exactly as it sounds — doughnuts at each mile. And it sold out in less than 4 hours!
On a different note, I was reading an article recently that suggested that every runner should know WHY they are running, because it helps with motivation, especially on the crappy days. I realized that despite setting on this path of half marathon training, I hadn’t fully fleshed out my true reasons for running.
So, here goes my 5 reasons (I’m sure I have a few more):
- I’m competitive and there aren’t many sports (attainable for me) that you can compete in in your late 30s (and older).
- To get back into shape — lose weight, improve endurance and get stronger.
- Because I hate that my injury sidelined me 3 years ago. I wanna prove that this injury can’t beat me.
- The runner community is amazing. I like the sense of belonging to something bigger, and being inspired by the other runners. It has even brought me closer to friends who run.
- Races will give me another excuse (as if I need one) to travel.
What are YOUR reasons for running?